Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Did Adam really have a choice?

While for most of us it was pretty evident that Adam was a friend of Dorothy’s there are those who needed to hold on to the fantasy that he will could be their prom date.
As long as you don’t say the words, some people will continue to believe what they want.

Coming out on the cover of Rolling Stone Magazine is a statement as big as his voice. As he says in the article, he lived in LA as a gay man. There wasn’t any option to pull a Clay Aiken. He was out and proud and even though it may have cost him the Idol title, the fact that he did so well is pretty incredible. It’s another sign that the tide really is turning in the US. (At least in the demographic that votes on Idol).

It will be very interesting to see how his upcoming album will do. I’m hoping that he will be judged on his talent and not his sexuality; although sex and rock and roll are pretty hard to separate.

Adam Lambert tells Rolling Stone in its new issue:

"I don’t think it should be a surprise for anyone to hear that I’m gay. I've been living in Los Angeles for eight years as a gay man. I've been at clubs drunk making out with somebody in the corner...Right after the finale, I almost started talking about it to the reporters, but I thought, ‘I’m going to wait for Rolling Stone, that will be cooler. I didn’t want the Clay Aiken thing and the celebrity-magazine bullshit. I need to be able to explain myself in context. I’m proud of my sexuality. I embrace it. It’s just another part of me....[Ultimately], I’m trying to be a singer, not a civil rights leader."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous9/6/09 21:51

    I agree. I am so proud of him for not pulling "an Aiken". I think it will serve him wel- the truth will set him free.
    I disagree however that the fact he got so far in this singing competition is a sign that America is opening up. I think that the bulk of his fans ( indeed any of the idols' fans) are girls 10-14 years old that were attracted to his shiny, sparkly costumes just as much as his singing.
    They developed crushes on him, and one fan out of some godforsaken American town, started a blogg and online campaign stating that the pictures of Adam and his beau-du-jour kissing were all fake and doctored.
    I hope his album rocks and that people buy it; but will that 12-year old buy it now that her older cousin tells her that Adam has come out in Rolling Stone magazine....hmmmm might have been smarter to do a spread in "teenbeat"- but then he'd be pretending he's someoen he is not.

    I know one thing for certain: he is one of the most talented singers and performers I have ever witnessed.

    ReplyDelete

Share It If You Like It