Friday, March 6, 2009

March 6, 2009




I now live in Montréal (Québec) Canada, actuall very near this clock tower. It's been a long journey from Moncton to Toronto, to Hamilton, to Owen Sound, back to Hamilton, back to Toronto then almost ten years ago, to Montréal.

As an anglophone of Acadian, German and English decent, it wouldn't seem obvious to many that I would make my home here in this battleground of linguistic and cultural politics. But, I am settled. Though it is at times a struggle, I try to remain positive about the unique beauty of this city. As with people, the most attractive tend to be those that have a slight quirkiness or flaw that serves to only accentuate their best traits.

Montréal has been the subject of much romanticization; that it is a bit of Europe in North America, that its fashion sense, its love of culture and festivals, its multicultural mix gives the city a vitality and sophistication that rivals anything on this side of the big pond.

Now, there are those that live here who might say that all of these attributes are nothing more than plastered pancake makeup on an old whore. Montréal's decrepit infrastructure, bloated civil service, and elevated tax rates make living here challenging and frustrating.

Well, yes...and you're point is?

As I get older, I have learned to put things in perspective. That it is possible and most likely probable that the people or things that I love will have flaws, will have irritants, and won't always look their best.

And as I look into the mirrow each day, I can only remark to myself that perfection is so overrated.


"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it."
- Salvador Dali


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share It If You Like It