Monday, July 20, 2009

The Sun came out! Hit the beaches!

Today the sun came out - and stayed out, like for all day! And it was warm too.

For awhile there, I thought I was in the land that summer forgot. Then pow, like an old Frankie and Annette movie I was day dreamin' of my youth spent at Parlee Beach in Shediac NB.

My uncle Archie would drive a bunch of us to Parlee in his truck (for .25$, he was an entrepreneur)and on the way there, we would sing all along with someone's transitor radio: "Bye bye love, bye, bye happiness....I think I'm gonna cry-eye, bye bye my love goodbye-eye"

I had a huge crush on Annette Funicello since I first saw her on the Micky Mouse Club. Who would have thought years later, that same club would give us Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.

Annette was beautiful, kind and approachable. Her tinny voice only made her cuter and far less threatening than Ann Margaret who, while totally beautiful, was way too much of a sex kitten for this confused teenager. No, Annette was the sort of girl next door that one could imagine falling in love with and for whom white picket fences were invented.

I grew up on Lewis Street in Moncton in the fifties and sixties. The only fences we saw were the ones selling stolen hubcaps in the RCMP parking lot. And the only girls next door were named Dot'n Dash and Blondie who had the ingenuous method of soliciting Johns by jumping on their car hoods as they slowed down for the stop sign at Main Street.

Yep, those summers spent at the Capitol Theatre watching Beach Party movies then acting them out at Parlee Beach was what summer was all about.

Clam bake, anyone?



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share It If You Like It